Above: Cavendish Settler’s Walk
*Note- this blog went live on 20/3/20 prior to Government advice to avoid non-essential travel. Please check www.health.gov.au for the latest advice and restrictions.*
Don’t let the novel coronavirus stop you from having a wonderful experience in the Greater Hamilton region!
There are plenty of tourist attractions still open for visitors whilst respecting social distancing measures now in place across the country. You can also keep your physical health in check whilst exploring our uncrowded landscapes, discover some interesting features, get some fresh air and help your mental health too!
Here are 19 of our favourite things to do during COVID-19…
1. Hike Mt Sturgeon & find space to breathe in the Grampians National Park (3hr return).
2. Hit the water at Rocklands Reservoir. You can still fish, boat, water-ski, kayak, canoe, sail or stand-up paddleboard!
3. Ride the rails at Skate Parks in Coleraine and Hamilton.
4. Have a picnic with Henty wine and local produce in the Hamilton Botanic Gardens.
5. Climb the new steps of Mt Rouse; Victoria’s youngest volcanic plain, with a direct sight line to one of Victoria’s oldest landscapes; the Grampians National Park.
6. Take a stroll around Lake Hamilton – dogs and prams welcome!
7. Absorb the history of the Dunkeld Heritage Walk.
8. Tackle the Ninja Warrior Course at Patterson Park, Hamilton.
9. Explore Settler’s Walk along the Wannon River, Cavendish.
10. Let yourself in to admire the mural inside the Glenthompson Church
11. Have a hit of golf at one of our scenic locations; Hamilton Golf Club, Parklands Golf Club, and Grampians Golf Club to name a few.
12. Ride the 10km trail between Hamilton and the Germanic town of Tarrington.
13. Take your racquets to the Hamilton Lawn Tennis Club or one of the tennis courts in iconic locations in surrounding towns.
14. Stroll along the Red Gum Walk, lining the Glenelg River, Balmoral.
15. Play and laugh at the all-abilities Lakes Edge Adventure Playground, Hamilton.
16. See if you can find all 7 art murals around Hamilton– look high and low!
17. Go bird-watching at Yatmerone Swamp Wildlife Reserve.
18. Have a hit of cricket on the picturesque oval at Byaduk.
19. Explore the lush surrounds of the Penshurst Wetland Gardens.
Aside from the family-friendly activity ideas above, you can also support our local tourism & events industry and get everything you need in the region.
Many of our cafes and restaurants are offering deliveries to your home or accommodation, our retailers are offering online shopping, supermarkets are open and some small intimate events are still taking place.
Call us on 1800 807 056 (M-F 9-5), or email email@example.com to find out what services are still operating during this time, and check the What’s On page for up-to-date event listings (details being updated as soon as possible as events keep us informed).
Show us what you’re up to – use #visitgreaterhamilton to share your experiences with us!